The seal of quality “LOG” means LAGUIOLE ORIGNE GARANTIE and is certified by the “Institut Nationale de la Proprietè Industrielle”. This seal guarantees the following quality criteria.
- Place of business must be within a certain named region of the Petit Aubrac, in which the traditional Laguiole forges were situated at that time. Hereby it shall be avoided that other or even foreign manufacturers who traditionally have nothing to do with the fabrication of these knives are profiting from its brandname.
- The blades of the knives must be forged and must adhere to certain quality standards ( among others: stainless, minimum temper of 56 Rockwell)
- All parts of the knife must be fabricated within the company and no components whatsoever can be bought outside.
- The knife must be fabricated in the traditional way of workmanship
- A controlling and supervising system checks the compliance with the quality criteria
The society “Le Couteau de Laguiole” owns the trading rights and is entitled to confer them to any manufacturer complying with these criteria and submitting to the controls.
The main reason for turning down most requests is obviously that many manufacturers do not use forged blades. If the blades are not forged but only polished of sheet metal the LOG can not be granted. In this connection the term “cold forging” is being used. Hence it is important to ask whether a manufacturer using this term is only trying to distract the not so well informed customer from the fact that the product has actually not been “forged”.